This area outlines the evaluation and knowledge management tools incorporated within "Biodiversity Europe" and
highlights the opportunities for discovery of the biodiversity challenges facing public policy makers, the business world, scientists
and civil society.
Ker-ALARM is an interactive multimedia DELIBERATION SUPPORT TOOL
DST allying science
and stakeholder dialogue processes for European biodiversity management and risk governance.
The Virtual Garden of Biodiversity at Ker-ALARM introduces the visitor to the
variety of European biodiversity and its
significance for human society. It illustrates the environmental services of inland waters, wetlands, forests, grasslands and dry scrub,
agroecosystems, mountains, polar habitats and urban ecosystems, and highlights risks of damage to these functions.
Through an interactive forum, DST (DELIBERATION SUPPORT TOOL) users
are invited to discuss the importance of policy action in ten fields:
- Maintenance of Biological Richness;
- Ecosystem Services to the Economy;
- Economic Performance;
- Social Cohesion;
- Power Structures and Political Models;
- Economic Regulation;
- Environmental Governance;
- Community and Local Identity;
- Perceived Quality of Landscape;
- Status of Nature.
The KerBabel INDICATOR DIALOGUE BOX at Ker-ALARM provides a forum for dialogue between producers and users of information, highlighting:
- the SCALES at which observation, analysis and measurement takes place;
- the geographical SITES;
- the decision making, management, evaluation or governance ISSUES;
- the STAKEHOLDERS who contribute;
- the time-paths within SCENARIOS, for which the information plays a descriptive role.